If you can’t find Thai chiles, you can use jalapeno or just substitute 1 teaspoon siracha for the heat. If you have a food processor, you can mince the ginger, shallot, and chile in that along with the vinegar and oil.
- 3 slicing cucumbers (or 1 large English cucumber), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot (from 1 small shallot)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (from 1-inch knob ginger)
- 1 thai chile pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon thinly julienned mint leaves
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and toss to combine. Allow to sit for 20 minutes or so at room temperature. Taste for seasoning, and serve with fish, grilled meat, or on top of a bowl of rice.