This recipe is great to make ahead, and it’s a perfect portable potluck contribution!
- 1 pound mixed wild mushrooms (cremini, shitake, portabello)
- ¼ cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne
- 2 cloves garlic, pushed through a press or finely minced
- 1 pound red Russian kale
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Clean the mushroom caps and trim the stems. Cut them into ½ inch pieces, place them in a large cast iron skillet or baking dish lined with foil, and toss them with a glug of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, redistributing halfway through the cooking process.
- Remove the thick stalks from the kale leaves. On a cutting board, stack the leaves one on top of the other, and roll them up into a cigar (much like you would to julienne basil), and slice it into thin ribbons.
- Add the mushrooms to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the lemon juice, oil, salt, cayenne, and garlic. Add the kale and half the pecans and toss until the leaves are well coated in the mushroom mixture. Let sit for an hour or so, tossing occasionally. Top with the remaining nuts, taste for seasoning, and serve.