Steak sounds fancy, but you can make this meal for 2 for less than $15. Just make sure to buy an affordable cut of steak for under $13 a pound. So long as you have the rice and condiments in your pantry, the veggies won’t cost you much more.
- 1 cup short grain white rice
- ¾ pound flank or sirloin steak (whichever is cheapest at the market)
- 6 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten-free or regular)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Cook the rice according to package instructions. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large cast iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over a high flame. Dry the steak with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. When the pan is very hot (flick some water off your fingers and see if it sizzles), add the steak. Cook for 4 minutes on each side, until very brown. Remove to a plate and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, oils, and soy sauce. Whisk to combine. Toss together with the cooled rice, radishes, and scallions. NOTE: you can make the rice up to a day in advance.
- Slice the steak as thin as possible. Mound the rice on two plates and top with a few slices of steak.