Adapted from How To Roast a Lamb by Michael Psilakis
- 16 extra-large or Jumbo shrimp (about 1lb), peeled and deveined
- 1 pound orzo
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 9 scallions, thickly sliced
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 cups smooth tomato sauce or puree (or a good, store-bought marinara)
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the orzo according to package directions, drain, and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Reserve, keeping warm.
- In the meantime, in a large, heavy soup pot or Dutch oven heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over a medium-high flame. Add the garlic and shallots, and sauté for 1 minute. Add the scallions and shrimp, and sear for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cook for 2 minutes and remove the shrimp to the reserved orzo. Continue to reduce the liquid until the mixture has thickened (2 to 3 minutes), and season with salt and pepper.
- To the pot, add the orzo and shrimp, spinach, and feta if using, and toss to combine. Spoon the orzo into bowls and garnish with a scatter of parsley leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.