Al Forno Conchiglie with Five Cheeses
Makes 6 servings
This recipe was adapted from Cucina Simpatica: Robust Trattoria Cooking by the owners of our favorite Providence restaurant, Al Forno. The dish is still the subject of many a dinner table discussion, as somehow any other baked pasta that involves cream and cheese tends to pale in comparison.
1 lb conchiglie rigate (shells)
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
¼ lb shredded mozzarella
½ cup grated Pecorino Romano (reserve some for garnish)
½ cup fontina cheese, coarsely grated
¼ cup crumbled gorgonzola (I used a little less)
2 tbsp ricotta cheese
½ tsp salt
6 basil leaves, chopped
¼ cup very thinly sliced (length wise) scallion (for garnish)
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees
2. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Salt well, and cook the pasta for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, combine cream, tomatoes, cheeses, salt, and basil in a large bowl and stir to combine. Add the pasta and toss to coat.
4. Spread pasta mixture evenly in a casserole or baking dish. Bake uncovered for 7 to 10 minutes, until the top is browned and the bottom layer of pasta is tender.
5. Sprinkle with scallions and remaining pecorino and serve immediately.