Artichoke Pizza with Leeks, and Shallots
Makes 4 servings
You can use any type of artichoke hearts you want. If you buy them whole, make sure to cut them into ½-inch wedges. If you use marinated artichokes in oil, you do not need to rinse them—this will only add delicious flavor and richness to your pie!
1 tablespoon butter
2 leeks, white and light green parts, cut into half moons and thinly sliced
1 ball pizza dough
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, shredded or finely diced
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
9 ounces artichoke hearts (defrosted, or from a can, rinsed, and drained)
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 500°F.
2. In a medium nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, and sauté the leek until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. On a floured cutting board or work surface, roll the pizza dough out, or use your fingers to stretch it. Line a baking sheet or pizza stone with parchment paper, and lightly brush it with oil. Place the dough on the sheet or stone, and press out the edges until the surface area is covered.
4. Spoon sauce over the dough and spread it in one even layer. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the top, and arrange the leeks, artichokes, and shallots evenly on the surface. Season the whole pizza lightly with salt.
5. Bake in the oven until the crust is brown and the cheese is melted, about 8-10 minutes. Return the pie to the cutting board, and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Let rest for a few minutes, then cut into slices, and serve!