This hybrid salad is really just a great way to make the greens gals like myself happy, while creating a slightly more exciting dish to put on the table at a dinner party. You can use spinach instead of arugula, but I really like the peppery bite the latter adds to the creamy cheese. And of course, if you don’t have pinenuts on hand, you can omit them or substitute whatever nut you fancy at the time.
- 3-5oz baby arugula (depends on the size of your plate/platter)
- 2-3 large plum tomatoes, sliced
- ½ lb fresh mozzarella, torn into rustic pieces
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- Parmesan shavings (optional)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Arrange the tomato slices around the end of the platter so they slightly overlap. Place a piece of torn mozzarella on top of each tomato.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the arugula with ¾ of the dressing. Pile in the middle of the platter, at the center of the tomato-mozarella circle.
- Top with the toasted pinenuts, shaved parmesan, and drizzle the remaining dressing over the cheese and tomatoes on the perimeter.