This bruschetta recipe uses fresh tomatoes and is dairy-free. It is healthy, simple to make, and a perfect homemade appetizer for any event.
- 4 heirloom tomatoes (preferably multi-colored), seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped basil
- ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- olive oil
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 rustic loaf of country or Italian bread, cut into ¾ inch slices and halved
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, basil, balsamic, sugar, and a glug of olive oil in a medium mixing bowl. Season with salt and red pepper. Set aside to marinate.
- Preheat the oven to broil (you can also use a flat bed toaster if you have one). Arrange the bread slices on a cookie sheet. Brush both sides with olive oil. Toast in the oven for a few minutes per side, until golden brown and crisp. Allow to cool enough to handle, the rub each slice with a raw clove of garlic to infuse it with flavor.
- Using a slotted spoon (you don’t want the bread to get too soggy), top each slice with a generous amount of the tomato mixture.