- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/3 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
- ½ pound strawberries, stems removed and sliced
- 3 tablespoons Basil Simple Syrup (recipe follows)
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, and salt in medium bowl until combined. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (this is a makeshift double boiler). Whisk until mixture is very thick, about 6 minutes. Remove and let the lemon mixture cool to room temperature.
- Beat remaining 1 1/3 cups cream in large bowl until firm peaks form. Carefully fold whipped cream into the lemon mixture, 1 cup at a time. (You should have 3 cups total).
- Divide the mixture between 4 punch glasses or small bowls. Chill for at least 2 hours, and up to 1 day.
- In a medium mixing bowl, spoon the simple syrup over the strawberries and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, using a slotted spoon, spoon the strawberries over the mousse and garnish with a basil leaf (optional).
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir until the sugar dissolves, less than a minute. Turn off heat and add the basil. Stir to combine, and let steep for 1 hour. Remove to an airtight container and refrigerate.