This black bean soup combines beans, onions, garlic, and spices for a delicious dinner full of protein and fiber. It is vegetarian and gluten-free, also!
Originally published on Food & Wine.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- Sea salt
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, heat the oil. Sauté the onion over medium-high heat until soft, 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook until fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans and stock, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium-low heat until the beans are tender and the soup has thickened, 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the lime juice. Taste for seasoning. Serve the soup in bowls and garnish with the sour cream and cilantro leaves.