This simple wild rice recipe can be made using kale, swiss chard, spinach, or beet greens and incorporates them into a healthy meal full of whole grains.
Originally published on Food & Wine.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 8 cups cold water
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 cups tightly packed chopped chard, kale, beet greens or spinach
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a large saucepan, cover the wild rice with the water, add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the rice is tender but still chewy, about 1 hour. Drain the rice well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Cook the garlic over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the greens and cook, tossing occasionally, until wilted, about 4 minutes. Add the balsamic, red pepper and season with salt. Cook one minute more, until the vinegar has reduced, and remove to a mixing bowl.
- Toss the wild rice with the wilted greens and serve warm.