This wild rice recipe with turkey sausage combines whole grains and protein for a healthy holiday lunch or dinner. Berries add sweetness to the plate.
Originally published on Food & Wine.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 8 cups cold water
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound hot turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Parsley, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, cover the wild rice with the water, add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over moderately low heat until the rice is tender but still chewy, about 1 hour. Drain the rice well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet. Cook the sausage over high heat, breaking up the pieces with a spatula, until very brown, about 10 minutes. Remove to a mixing bowl.
- Toss the wild rice with the sausage and cranberries. Season with salt and garnish with fresh parsley.