As a person, I’m pretty upfront about my strengths and weaknesses. And as far as this blog is concerned, my weakness is definitely the photography.
I’ve come a long way since 2008, when I was trying to capture stew in a messy bowl at 9pm with my point-and-shoot. But the learning curve has been steeper than other areas. And I know that being a food blogger with mediocre pictures is the equivalent of being a butter face (but-her-face) in high school. I’m shocked anyone wanted to hook-up with me or my blog years ago.
Anyway, despite running around like a crazy person half the time, I have been trying to make a concerted effort to improve my photography. I still have no idea what I’m doing in terms of my camera settings. But it does help to take the extra fifteen minutes to style my food and arrange my table setting on the floor below the ladder to my sleeping loft – my unofficial photo studio.
But whenever a professional offers to sweep me and my food off our feet for the day, I am always gratefully game. And I was lucky enough earlier this year to meet a great fellow Brown alumnus at a food panel I spoke at, who offered to do just that.
I had a wonderful day shooting with Kristin Gladney last month. If you didn’t check out my full interview and portrait on her site, you can see it here. She’s been working on a project capturing people in creative fields in their work and home environment (often one in the same, if I’m any indication!). Make sure to scroll through the site – there are so many interesting characters to discover!
As a secondary subject for our shoot, I made a batch of blueberry almond pancakes. They are gluten-free, thanks to the almond meal and rice flour. But you would never know it from the texture. They were a total winner, and very photogenic to boot.
Check out some of the great shots from my kitchen – I’m excited to start integrating some of these into the site! And here’s hoping to one day having the skillz to make my own rice jars look so darn sexy.
The almond meal/milk base is a lot milder than you would expect. It's an excellent dairy and gluten-free base for any pancake. Feel free to experiment with other fruit. If you want to amp up the almond flavor, simply at 1/2 teaspoon almond extract in place of the vanilla. Inspired by Natural Sweet Recipes.
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar or honey
- 2/3 cup white rice flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- Butter or Earth balance substitute
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, almond milk, and sugar until combined. Fold in the flour, almond meal, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Set a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add a small pat of butter or Earth Balance to the pan and swirl around until there’s a light coat. Add the batter to the pan, ¼ cup for each pancake. You’ll make 2-3 at a time depending on the size of your pan.
- Add a small handful of blueberries (about 5 per) to the top of the pancakes and a sprinkling of slivered almonds. Cook on the first side until golden brown on the bottom and beginning to form bubbles on the top, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the second side until golden brown and the blueberries have begun to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining pancakes.
- Serve the pancakes immediately in a stack, alternating the blueberry side face up/down, with maple syrup and additional butter on the side.
Food Network Summer Fest is back! Check out the other great berry recipes below.
Feed Me Phoebe: Gluten-Free Blueberry-Almond Pancakes
The Lemon Bowl: Strawberry Mango Chia Smoothie
Dishin & Dishes: Crunchy Topped Blueberry White Chocolate Muffins
Jeanette’s Healthy Living: Gingered Blueberry Shortcakes With Light Creamy Topping
Taste With The Eyes: Blueberry Limoncello Pavlova
Sweet Life Bake: Paletas de Fresca y Aguacate
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Mixed Berry Tea Cake
Red or Green?: Strawberry & Blueberry Crisp (Red or Green-style)
Virtually Homemade: Blueberry Mint Margaritas
Haute Apple Pie: Triple Berry Ice Cream
Pinch My Salt: Strawberry Peach Cobbler With Almond Biscuit Topping
Cooking With Elise: Dehydrating Blueberries, Plus Blueberry and White Chocolate Cookies
Devour: Four Healthy Berry Recipes
Domesticate Me: Summer Berry Crisp
Weelicious: Brainy Breakfast
The Sensitive Epicure: Strawberries With White Balsamic Vinegar Caramel, Orange Zest and Black Pepper
Daily*Dishin: Fresh and Easy Blueberry Pie
From My Corner of Saratoga: Mixed Berry Freezer Pops
FN Dish: Wake Up With Berries