Whenever I’m feeling rundown and in need of a detox (and don’t feel like going off of these bad boys for an extended period of time), the first ingredient I turn to is the bodacious beet.
Beets contain a lot of great ingredients for helping the liver detoxify itself. They’re high in antioxidants, as hinted at by their amazing color, and contain pectin, which is a fiber that flushes out the toxins that the liver removes so they aren’t reabsorbed by the body.
Bad skin is often a sign of liver trouble, since when toxins aren’t being evacuated properly via your internal organs, they tend to take an exist ramp via your face. For this reason, my roasted beet salad is the best dish to have you at your prettiest by Valentine’s Day.
This Moroccan roasted beet salad is also packed with other skin-beautifying things like almonds, pomegranates and lemon juice. Enjoy it as a romantic side dish, or just as a gift to yourself throughout the month to help make your make-up free Mondays all the more vibrant.
From one healthy hedonist to another,
- 2 bunches beets (about 8 medium), trimmed and rinsed
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice (use regular lemon if you can’t find)
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Divide the beets between 2 pieces of foil (about 1-foot long each). Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt. Wrap tightly in the foil so no air is release. Place in a baking dish and roast until fork-tender, about 1 hour. Carefully open the foil and allow to rest until cool enough to touch. Slip the skins off with your fingers. Cut the beets into wedges and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Toss the beets with the cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, lemon juice, and cilantro.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with the almonds and pomegranate seeds.
The beets can be roasted up to a week in advance. The whole dish can be assembled three days in advance. Just omit the cilantro so it keeps better.