An easy and quick creamed spinach casserole with bacon bits and breadcrumbs. This recipe is versatile and would be perfect at breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Originally published by Food & Wine.
- 4 slices uncured bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 20 ounces spinach leaves
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown the bacon over medium-high heat until crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove to a towel-lined plate. Add the shallots and sauté over medium-high heat until golden, about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and cornstarch. Add to the pan and Simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the spinach to a 1-quart ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top, followed by the bacon. Bake for 10 minutes, until heated through.