This weekend my friend Sarah outlined a few important culinary tasks that she always defers to me as the queen of. The first is salad dressing. The second is scrambled eggs, particularly if part of an elaborate breakfast burrito buffet. I definitely agreed with these two. But if I got a vote on my own cooking clout, I would have to give the third place prize in my repertoire to slaw.
Unlike the first two contenders, slaw sadly doesn’t involve a whole lot of technique. But that doesn’t mean there can’t be creativity.
The inspiration for this broccoli slaw recipe has been kicking around my head for years, ever since I went to Parm, the small sandwich outpost of the Torrisi restaurant empire. I was worried about the excursion, thinking I would have to sit on my hands in order to refrain from eating a meatball sub. But it turned out that the sides were equally delicious.
One of the veggie bowls I tried was a Mediterranean-inspired cauliflower slaw with Greek yogurt cutting the mayo, fresh mint, jalapenos, and a nice hit of lemon juice. I don’t usually like raw cauliflower, but this dish made me a believer. I recreated it a few summers ago on Martha’s Vineyard with savoy cabbage instead of the cauliflower. But this year when I was brainstorming slaw combinations, I thought I’d give it a whirl with broccoli and some colorful sliced radishes.
I’ve been on a serious Greek yogurt kick since returning from my adventures island hopping in the Aegean, so this was a nice twist on one of my favorite American dishes. I love the nutty crunch of the toasted almonds on top and a few rogue golden raisins thrown in there for sweetness. I can’t kick the mayo completely, so there’s a little bit of that in there as well. If your health philosophy is staunchly anti-mayo, try subbing Earth Balance Mindful Mayo. It’s got a great flavor and texture without the quintessential vegan substitute, soy.
I’m excited for a long summer as the queen of slaws. I hope you’ll consider upping your slaw game with this broccoli slaw recipe—I’d happily be dethroned.
Healthy Broccoli Slaw Recipe With Yogurt Mint Dressing and Radishes
- 1 pound broccoli
- 6 radishes about 1 small bunch, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds toasted
- Finely chop the broccoli florets by hand, or run through a mandoline. Trim the stems by removing the coarse exterior with a chef's knife or peeler. Finely chop or slice in a mandoline. Add to a large mixing bowl along with the radishes, jalapeno, raisins, mint, yogurt, mayo, lemon juice, and salt. Toss until the yogurt sauce is well distributed. Taste for seasoning.
- Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with the toasted almonds.