I’ve had carrot cake on my list of things to gluten-free-ify for a long time. But as you know, my baking skills are a little bit like my karaoke skills – no matter how much love and passion and booty shake goes into them, the end result isn’t always that pleasant to enjoy.
The one exception to the rule is pancakes. I’ve got those figured out. And after the success of this gluten-free blueberry almond version that I made on my new cooking show, I knew that a carrot cake combination would be the next on deck.
I’ve been trying to slowly upgrade my pantry to include even more organic whole grains. So when I ran out of white rice flour – my go-to for all types of uses – I decided to replace it with the brown rice alternative and see what happens. This was my first substitution, and I couldn’t tell the difference.
The batter is a little thicker than other pancake recipes – a little more cake-like, if you will. The result is a plump patty that’s slightly crispy on the top, with a fluffy texture that’s ideal for maple syrup absorption. Instead of the requisite cream cheese frosting, I used a dollop of vanilla-flavored Chobani to give it that hit of creaminess.
My second plate of these this morning was the perfect send-off, as I desperately try to get my sh*$ together to leave for the airport. I’m heading to Doonbeg, Ireland for a friend’s wedding this weekend. I decided to head out a day early so that my friend Sophie and I could ride ponies on the beach. Make sure to check in for snapshots of the whole weekend, and please give your lucky charms a little shake for me and pray there isn’t too much rain!Xo
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Pancakes
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup almond milk or regular milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup plus more for serving
- 2/3 cup brown or white rice flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- Coconut oil butter or Earth balance, for cooking
- Vanilla nonfat Greek yogurt or crème fraiche for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and maple syrup. Stir in the flour, almond meal, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt. Fold in the carrots.
- Place a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium-low heat. Lightly grease it with oil or butter. Add the batter to the pan, ¼ cup for each pancake. You’ll make 2-3 at a time depending on the size of your pan. Cook 2 minutes, or until small bubbles start to appear on the surface. Flip the pancakes and cook for another 2 minutes, until the pancakes are firm and lightly browned.
- Serve the pancakes with maple syrup and yogurt or creme fraiche. Garnish with a dash of cinnamon.