Charmoula Lamb Chops with Yogurt Sauce
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup cilantro leaves plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ lemon juiced
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Dash cayenne or ¼ teaspoon harissa
- 6 lamb rib chops about 1 1/2 pound total, trimmed
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine the shallot, garlic, cilantro, oil, lemon juice and zest, salt, cumin and cayenne (or harissa) in a small food processor and puree until the sauce is smooth.
- Place the lamb in a large Ziplock bag. Pour three quarters of the marinade over the chops. Shake them around until well-coated in the charmoula, then place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Cover and store the remaining charmoula.
- Combine the yogurt, cumin, and lemon juice in a small mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. (This can be done the night before as well.)
- When ready to serve, heat an indoor grill pan over a high flame. Brush with olive oil, or coat with cooking spray. Remove the lamb chops from the marinade. Grill for 5 minutes on each side, rotating each chop 90 degrees halfway through the cooking process on each side to create a nice cross-hatch. Remove to a plate or cutting board and tent with foil. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- To serve, divide the yogurt sauce between two plates. Stand the lamb chops upright in the middle of the plate (teepee effect). Spoon the remaining charmoula over the chops, and garnish with a healthy handful of cilantro. Serve immediately alongside herbed rice or orzo.
Leave a Reply