Ginger Salmon Burgers with Grilled Scallions
- Whisk together the mustard, mayonnaise, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, and cilantro. Season with salt and a pinch of cayenne. Taste for seasoning, and add more heat if necessary.
- Finely chop the salmon filet. Toss together with the mustard mixture and form into four even patties, making sure to pack the rounds together as tight as possible.
- Place burgers on a plate, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour, and up to six.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over a high flame and coat the bottom with a thin layer of olive oil. When the pan is very hot, add the salmon burgers. Cook the burgers until brown and crispy on both sides. Make sure not to flip the burgers too early—they are fragile and need to be nearly cooked through on the first side in order to turn without breaking.
- In the meantime, heat a grill pan over high heat. Drizzle a little olive oil on a large plate and roll the scallions around until they are coated with oil. When the pan is hot, add the scallions. Rotate as necessary until the green stalks have wilted and the white stems have beautiful dark brown grill marks.
- Serve the burgers, with or without toasted buns, and pile the grilled scallions on top.