Grilled Vegetable Ratatouille
- 1 small eggplant sliced lengthwise 1/3 inch thick
- 1 zucchini sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 yellow squash sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 orange or yellow pepper cored and sliced into rings
- 1 red pepper cored and sliced into rings
- 1 medium red onion peeled and cut into rings
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup roughly chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Sea salt
Heat a charcoal grill.
In a shallow dish, place half of the olive oil. Brush the eggplant, squash, zucchini, and peppers with oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper. String the tomatoes onto skewers and brush with oil. Arrange the veggies on the grill.
Grill on both sides until nice char marks form and each vegetable becomes tender (about 10 minutes for eggplant, 8 for zucchini/squash, 8 for peppers, 5 for tomatoes, 10 for onions).
Remove the veggies to a cutting board and roughly chop. Combine the basil, balsamic, and remaining oil in a mixing bowl. Add the chopped veggies and toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and add more salt as necessary.
Enjoy alongside grilled meat or fish, or as a topping for pasta, hot or at room temperature.