We talk a lot about intestines on this podcast, duh. But today’s episode is all about the stomach. We’ve been taught over the years through plenty of TV ads for pep-themed pills that stomach acid is something that needs to be constantly beaten back in order to avoid reflux. In today’s conversation, we investigate the other side of the coin: why a decrease in stomach acid across the global population is not only causing GERD and other symptoms, but bigger conditions like SIBO downstream.
Joining me to discuss the stomach’s role in the digestive process and what substances are at play is Dr. Daniel Nuzum, a doctor of naturopathic medicine in Meridian, Idaho. It is a masterclass on how alkaline and acidic environments take shape in various sections of the digestive tracks and what we need to do through diet and lifestyle to maintain proper PH.
A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- The biggest contributors to low stomach acid
- Why acid reflux should really be called alkaline reflux
- How to compensate for low acid through diet
- pylori and why it can take hold in the stomach, plus natural remedies for getting rid of overgrowths
- Why stomach ulcers form as a protective measure
- The role of Proton Pump Inhibitors for suppressing stomach acid and why they aren’t necessary
- The best enzyme supplements to heal the stomach and get your digestive juices flowing
- The art of food combining and why it is such a boon to your stomach
- And so much more!
Resources, mentions and notes:
- The SIBO Made Simple Book – Available to Pre-Order! Find out more about early bonuses here
- Dr. Nuzum’s website – use code HEALTHYGUT for 15% off his supplements, including Fulvic acid, Dr. Nuzum’s Digest, Gut Health Enzymes
- Colloidal silver concentrate
- Slippery elm bark powder
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to the newsletter (and receive a free low FODMAP cookbook)
This episode is brought to you by SIBO Made Simple – THE BOOK! Part patient guide and part cookbook (complete with over 90 low FODMAP recipes), this is your trusty road map to become your own intestinal detective, gut problem solver, and critter-free kitchen crusader. Those who pre-order their copy before October 19th will be able to join my live Gut Heal Bootcamp for FREE. To find out more details about the pre-order bonuses and to submit your receipt, click here.
We are also brought to you by Epicured, a low FODMAP meal delivery service that understands that food is medicine. Each menu is created by Michelin star chefs and honed by doctors and dieticians at mount sinaii to restore digestive health for those with IBS, SIBO, Celiac and IBD. Everything they serve is 100 percent low FODMAP and gluten-free, with no cooking required! My favorite part about their dishes is the healthy spin on takeout gems like shrimp laksa and PAD THAI! Their version had a great balance of fresh veggies mixed in with the noodles that left me feeling both satisfied and completely free of my usual carb coma. Listeners to this podcast can get $20 off their order by using code PHOEBE. Click here or visit epicured.com/phoebe to learn more.
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.