Pomodoro Fresco Pasta Salad
- 1¾ lbs plum tomatoes about 4 large, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic pushed through a press
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp white sugar
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup basil leaves chopped
- 1 lb penne rigate
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients. Allow to sit for up to an hour so the tomatoes have time to marinate and absorb all the added flavor.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Cook the pasta according to package direction until al dente. Drain and add to the bowl with the tomato mixture.
- Toss the hot pasta with the tomatoes and chopped basil.
- Best if served room temperature. Preferably, on a picnic blanket.