Quinoa Cakes With Basil and Parmesan
- 1 cup cooked quinoa from 1/3 cup dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup nuts pecans, pine nuts, or cashews, ground in a food processor or coffee grinder
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs from 1 slice sandwich bread, Udi’s Gluten-Free or regular
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Mix together the quinoa, salt, herbs, onion, garlic, cheese, nuts, and bread crumbs in a medium mixing bowl. Add the eggs and fold until the mixture is moist and sticking together.
In a large cast iron skillet or non-stick pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Form the quinoa into rounded patties, about 2 tablespoons worth in each, and place as many in the pan as will fit without over crowding (if using a 15-inch skillet, you should be able to fit all of them. Otherwise, cook them in two batches, and add another tablespoon of olive oil after the first).
Cook the cakes for 5-7 minutes on the first side, until dark brown on the bottom. Flip the cakes and gently push down on each with your spatula so they flatten slightly. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for another 7 minutes, until dark brown on the second side and firm to the touch. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container.