It’s the season 3 finale Q&A episode! And I have a dream guest here with me to answer all your lingering SIBO queries: the king of SIBO himself, Dr. Mark Pimentel.
If you’ve already been down the SIBO rabbit hole, Dr. Pimentel likely needs no introduction. He’s the director of The Pimentel Lab at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, where he researches many pieces of the IBS puzzle, including gastrointestinal motility and bacterial overgrowths. He’s published dozens of studies on these subjects, and it’s fair to say that much of the data-backed information we’ve covered in the first 3 seasons of this podcast, has been discovered through Dr. Pimentel’s work.
There were a few recurring macro themes to your questions, so in today’s episode, we’re going to focus on Post-Infectious IBS, Methane overgrowth, and Hydrogen Sulfide SIBO.
If you don’t hear your question, don’t stress—there’s a big possibility I’ve covered it in a past episode already. Those who are new here might want to backtrack and listen to season 1, where we cover a lot of SIBO 101 topics related to the aftermath of a diagnosis.
The podcast will be on hiatus until the fall while I focus on putting the finishing touches on the SIBO Made Simple book (!!). In the meantime, stay in touch via instagram (I’m @phoebelapine) and by subscribing to my newsletter. Of course, subscribing to the podcast is the best way to be sure you’ll know when new episode start airing again.
A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- The proper definition of IBS, Post-Infectious IBS and SIBO
- Why the IBS Smart Test is useful and how to decide when to use it versus a lactulose SIBO breath test
- How long it takes for Post-Infectious IBS antibodies to be cleared from the body
- Precautions those diagnosed need to take when traveling abroad
- Advice for methane SIBO and constipation sufferers and the latest research about what a different beast it is
- Atrantil as a treatment for methane SIBO
- What percentage of people with SIBO have Hydrogen Sulfide and treatment plans
- And so much more…
Resources, mentions and notes:
- Dr. Pimentel’s website
- EP 27 | Bad Bacteria: Food Poisoning and Post-Infectious IBS
- Talley Meta-Analysis on SIBO in IBS
- Dr. Pimentel’s new paper on IMO: Intestinal Methanogen Overgrowth
- Atrantil – Digestive Support for Methane SIBO
- Phoebe’s book, The Wellness Project, on her journey with Hashimoto’s
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to the newsletter (and receive a free low FODMAP cookbook)
This episode is brought to you by 4 Weeks to Wellness, my online program for finding the sweet spot between health and hedonism. Need 4-weeks worth of easy low FODMAP recipes with a step-by-step meal plan laid out for you? You’ll receive a 20-recipe cookbook, complete with shopping lists, elimination diet guidance and reintroduction worksheets, in addition to the many other program resources like my symptom and activity tracker, lymphatic massage videos, doable desk stretches, and so much more. The 300+ people who have joined the tribe have reported clearer skin, calmer tummies, less bloat, tamer food cravings, and a general ease over their newfound habits. To find out more details about when the next session starts, click here. Use the code SIBOMADESIMPLE at checkout for $40 off!
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.