The latest pandemic and the question of whether or not to send kids back to school for in-person instruction, has cast a sharp light on the subject of a child’s immune system.
In today’s episode, we will take a deep dive into how our guts evolve in early childhood, why children are often better at fighting illness than their adult counterparts, and what happens when kids miss out on necessary exposure to the outside world.
We will also discuss how to hone in on whether your child is suffering from SIBO, candida or another gut issue, how the diet and treatment options differ from adults, and the biggest lifestyle changes you can implement early for SIBO prevention.
Joining me is Tasneem Bhatia MD, also known as Dr. Taz. She is board certified in integrative medicine and pediatrics, the founder and CEO of CentreSpringMD in Atlanta, and a former adjunct professor of integrative medicine at Emory University. She is also the author of the fantastic book Super Woman Rx and host of the podcast Super Woman Wellness.
A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- How a child’s immune system develops in utero and in early infancy
- What will become of “ bubble kids” born into the world of quarantine and at-home learning
- Why kids are not a susceptible to the worst effects of Covid-19 and other viruses
- Things to consider about a child’s immune system for those debating whether or not to send their kids back into a classroom
- How gut issues manifest in children
- What can you do to safe guard your child’s gut for the long-term
- SIBO treatment for children, from diet to supplements
- The biggest lifestyle habits to start on early so children don’t develop SIBO down the line
- And so much more!
Resources, mentions and notes:
- The SIBO Made Simple Book – Available to Pre-Order! Find out more about early bonuses here
- Dr. Taz’s Website
- Dr. Taz’s book Super Woman Rx
- Phoebe’s Fat Bomb Brownies Recipe
- Berberine Herbs
- Prescription Creon
- Ox Bile supplement
- EP 21 Chinese Medicine with Heidi Lovie
- EP 35 Fiber and Prebiotics with Dr. Bulsiewicz
- EP 37Antibodies and Immune System with Dr. Blum
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to the newsletter (and receive a free low FODMAP cookbook)
This episode is brought to you by SIBO Made Simple – THE BOOK! Part patient guide and part cookbook (complete with over 90 low FODMAP recipes), this is your trusty road map to become your own intestinal detective, gut problem solver, and critter-free kitchen crusader. Those who pre-order their copy before October 19th will be able to join my live Gut Heal Bootcamp for FREE. To find out more details about the pre-order bonuses and to submit your receipt, click here.
We are also brought to you by Ettitude, bedding made from 100% organic bamboo with a completely non-toxic manufacturing process. It’s hypoallergenic and anti-microbial. More importantly, the fabric is feathery soft. Like seriously the softest sheets I’ve ever owned. Organic bamboo lyocell is also extremely breathable. A regulated body temperature means better quality of sleep. SIBO Made Simple listeners can take 20% off their order with code SIBO at checkout. Just follow this link.
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.