Even if you don’t have SIBO, this episode is a must-listen for all women. We get into the nitty gritty of the relationship between hormones and the gut, how your thyroid factors into the equation, and why conditions like Hashimoto’s and hypothyroidism become such big risk factors for digestive issues like IBS and SIBO.
A big underlying culprit that I talked a bit about in the Rag Time chapter of my book The Wellness Project, but not enough people address, is the pill. Hormonal birth control is a subject that today’s guest is particularly equipped to talk about as it relates to gut health.
Dr. Jolene Brighten is a Functional Medicine Naturopathic Doctor and the founder of Rubus Health, a clinic in Portland Oregon that specializes in women’s hormones. She is a leading expert on the long-term side effects associated with hormonal contraceptives, and even coined the term Post-Birth Control Syndrome. Dr. Brighten is also the author of the upcoming book Beyond the Pill, a 30-day plan to support women on birth control, help them transition off, and eliminate symptoms of post-birth control syndrome.
A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- How hormonal birth control leads to leaky gut
- Why women are more prone to gut issues
- Why insufficient thyroid hormone contributes to the risk of food poisoning
- An overview of your different thyroid hormones and how they work in the body
- How a SIBO diet dovetails with a diet to support your thyroid
- The things you should and shouldn’t do to treat your SIBO if you’re a woman with hormone imbalances—including Dr. Brighten’s delicious recipe for a night time tonic for adrenal fatigue
- And so much more…
Resources, Mentions and Notes:
- Jolene’s website
- Jolene’s book, Beyond the Pill
- Jolene’s “Why do I poop so much on my period” blog post
- Jolene’s “The Thyroid Gut Connection” blog post
- Jolene’s supplement recommendations:
- The Rag Time chapter of The Wellness Project book
- My Hashimoto’s and thyroid resources
- My post that summarizes a lot of these strategies: How to Find the SIBO Treatment That’s Right For You, Natural or Otherwise
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- My favorite recipes to use collagen in baking and cooking: Pancakes, Soups, Quick breads, Brownies!
This episode is brought to you by Great Lakes Gelatin. Their collagen and gelatin products are sourced from cattle in Argentina and Brazil. They are pasture-raised and grass-fed. And they even offer Convenience Packs for those of us who travel often or are constantly on the go. I like to mix the collagen powder into my morning tea or coffee, or whisk it into soups and stews to help thicken them. I’ve even made a whole host of gluten-free baked goods with collagen in the batter, including pancakes, quick breads and brownies. If you’re looking to fortify and heal your gut, I highly recommend giving Great Lakes’ products a try. Enter SIBOMADESIMPLE at checkout for 20 percent off your first purchase.
Disclaimer: The information shared in this podcast is not meant to provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.