Over the last 5 years, the low FODMAP approach has become the gut healing diet du jour, with everyone from naturopaths to conventional MD’s prescribing it for IBS relief. On today’s episode we get into the nitty gritty of what eliminating fermentable carbs from your life actually looks like, the healing potential for your SIBO, and how this diet can effect your long-term gut health for better or for worse.
If Allison Siebecker, our guest on episode 1, is the queen of SIBO, Kate Scarlata is definitely the queen of FODMAP’s. She’s been writing out this dietary approach for IBS and creating tons of research on her site since long before people like myself were aware of it. She is also the author of several books, her latest of which is called The Low FODMAP Diet Step by Step.
A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- What the FODMAP acronym stands for
- Fructose malabsorption and why it effects people with SIBO more than others
- How to navigate the complicated ingredient lists for low FODMAP quantities
- Kate’s tips for keeping the flavor in your meals without garlic and onion
- Her strategies for reintroducing these ingredients back into your diet without fear
- What really constitutes a failed test or on-going insensitivity and what other milder symptoms might mean about your SIBO recovery
- And so much more…
Resources, Mentions and Notes:
- Kate’s website
- Kate’s book, The Low FODMAP Diet Step by Step
- Monash’s Appfor low FODMAP food portions
- Fody Foods’ low FODMAP condiments and sauces
- My free e-cookbook, Healthy Weeknight low FODMAP Meals
- My course with a month-long low FODMAP meal plan: 4 Weeks to Wellness
- My post that summarizes a lot of these strategies: The Best Diet and Lifestyle Choices to Heal, Treat and Prevent SIBO
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
This episode is brought to you by Fody Foods, my favorite resource for condiments, sauces and spice blends that are low FODMAP and use real ingredients to promote digestive health. Everything is Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, non-GMO, and most importantly, delicious. The garlic-infused oil and tomato-basil sauce are my personal favorites. Use code SIBOMADESIMPLE at checkout for 15 percent off your order!
Disclaimer: The information shared in this podcast is not meant to provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.