For those who have had surgical interventions for endometriosis, appendectomies, or another type of abdominal surgery, or who simply have had a car accident or injury that they’ve never fully recovered from: today’s conversation is for you. We’ve talked about many root causes of SIBO in past episodes of this podcast, but today we are going to do a bodily deep dive into some of the structural issues that could be holding your body back from digesting properly.
Even if you don’t have SIBO but seem to be one of those people whose health problems all stem from the gut, types of bodywork like visceral manipulation and structural integration could be the piece of the puzzle that’s missing in your long-term healing. To talk about these modalities and why they are so powerful is Dr. Jason Wysocki, a Naturopathic Physician and owner of 8 Hearts Health & Wellness in Portland, OR.
Dr Wysocki has been involved in researching various natural interventions in the treatment of digestive disorders, depression, and anxiety—including bodywork techniques like structural integration.
A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- What can cause structural issues that lead to SIBO
- The difference between an adhesion and scar tissue
- Ways you can mitigate the negative internal effects of surgery (endometriosis gals, take note!)
- How fascia function in the body and create our internal mask
- Whether certain types of core exercises and ab work can cause more constraint on your intestines
- Visceral manipulation and how it differs from other types of massage and bodywork
- The 10 stages of structural integration, who it’s right for, and how to find a practitioner
- Why emotions can linger in the body and cause actual structural issues
- How bodywork can improve microbiome imbalances like SIBO or simply help “gut people” who hold emotions in their abdomen heal for good
Resources, Mentions and Notes:
- Dr. Wysocki’s website
- Dr. Wysocki’s interview with Rebecca Coomes Part 1 and Part 2
- IASI board certified practitioners
- ROLF Institute
- Clear Passage abdominal therapy
- The Wellness Project book, Back It Up chapter
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to receive a free download of the episode transcript
This episode is brought to you by 4 Weeks to Wellness, my online program for finding the sweet spot between health and hedonism. Need 4-weeks worth of easy low FODMAP recipes with a step-by-step meal plan laid out for you? You’ll receive a 20-recipe cookbook, complete with shopping lists, elimination diet guidance and reintroduction worksheets, in addition to the many other program resources like my symptom and activity tracker, lymphatic massage videos, doable desk stretches, and so much more. The 300+ people who have joined the tribe have reported clearer skin, calmer tummies, less bloat, tamer food cravings, and a general ease over their newfound habits. To find out more details about when the next session starts, click here. Use the code SIBOMADESIMPLE at checkout for $40 off!
Disclaimer: The information Dr. Jason Wysocki shares is not meant to and does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.