There are many autoimmune diseases that are considered risk factors for SIBO. And yet, many of the downstream effects of SIBO (like leaky gut) also put you at risk for developing an autoimmune disease. This week, I’m joined by Dr. Susan Blum for a primer on the immune system, how it functions within our gut’s ecosystem, and why things can go awry and lead to the development of an autoimmune condition.
Dr. Blum is the author of the iconic book The Immune System Recovery Plan and more recently, Healing Arthritis, which gets more into the specifics on how gut health and autoimmune conditions are linked.
A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- How the immune system works within the ecosystem of your gut
- What causes your immune system to malfunction and trigger an autoimmune disease
- The relationship between autoimmune diseases and SIBO – which comes first?
- What root causes need to be alleviated to cure an autoimmune condition
- Why SIBO can cause local inflammation in the gut and also systemic inflammation throughout your body
- How to heal a leaky gut and whether a low lectin diet is a good approach
- Why SIBO usually also means dysbiosis in the large intestine and how to structure your treatment plan to tackle both
- Epstein Barr Virus’ role in autoimmune disease and whether or not that celery juice is actually the answer
- And so much more…
Resources, Mentions and Notes:
- Dr. Blum’s website
- Dr. Blum’s books: The Immune System Recovery Plan and Healing Arthritis
- The Wellness Project book
- Dr. Blum’s self-assessment worksheets
- Gerrard Mullin’s study on herbs versus rifaximin
- Biociden for SIBO maintenance – 5 drops 3 times a day
- Metagenics Detox Program for Heavy Metals
- Blum’s online classes
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to receive a free download of the episode transcript
This episode is brought to you by Fody Foods, my favorite resource for condiments, sauces and spice blends that are low FODMAP and use real ingredients to promote digestive health. Everything is Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, non-GMO, and most importantly, delicious. The garlic-infused oil and tomato-basil sauce are my personal favorites. Use code SIBOMADESIMPLE at checkout for 15 percent off your order!
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.