One of the most frequent SIBO Made Simple listener questions I’ve received revolves around the timing of treatment and diet. Is it better to feed the bacteria while on herbal or conventional antimicrobials by eating normally, or starving them with a low carb approach?
In today’s episode, I’m joined by Dr. Nirala Jacobi, one of Australia’s leading SIBO experts, and the founder of The SIBO Doctor, an online professional education platform. More importantly regarding today’s topic, Dr. Jacobi has pioneered the SIBO Bi-Phasic Diet that has helped patients and practitioners better use the symptom reduction of diet and the killing power of herbal antimicrobials in tandem.
For those trying to understand the role of diet in SIBO healing and treatment, this is a must listen.
A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- The bi-phasic diet and how it came to be
- Why we should feed versus starve our bacteria and how to time this strategy with other treatments
- Why diet isn’t a treatment in and of itself but a way to manage symptoms
- Leaky gut and its relationship to food sensitivities
- Why histamine intolerance and mass cell activation syndrome are common with both SIBO and candida or fungal overgrowth
- Die-off and how to tell if you’re reacting to endotoxins from bacteria or the treatment itself
Resources, mentions and notes:
- Dr. Jacobi’s website and clinic
- The SIBO Bi-Phasic Diet download
- The SIBO Specific Diet from Dr Allison Siebecker (also listen to episode 1 with Allison!)
- The Underlying Cause Questionnaire
- Histamine Bi-Phasic Diet download
- Mass cell activation syndrome
- Leaky gut healing kit: L-glutamine, Zinc carnosine, Saccharomyces boulardii
- Die-off kit: activated charcoal
- Visceral manipulation (we discuss in episode 7!)
- Inner balance device by HeartMath
- Hypnotherapy – Monash IBS study
- Meal spacing (we discuss in episode 5!)
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to receive a free download of the episode transcript
This episode is brought to you by Fody Foods, my favorite resource for condiments, sauces and spice blends that are low FODMAP and use real ingredients to promote digestive health. Everything is Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, non-GMO, and most importantly, delicious. The garlic-infused oil and tomato-basil sauce are my personal favorites. Use code SIBOMADESIMPLE at checkout for 15 percent off your order!
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.