This spicy guacamole recipe was sponsored by Avocados From Mexico. I received compensation for my participation in the program. As always, any opinions are solely my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this site possible!
Like this guy, I have a bit of an avocado addiction. Yesterday my consumption was already at 1.5 by lunchtime. Usually, my vehicle of choice, like Gwyneth, is the always reliable avocado toast. But for special occasions like, say, the Super Bowl, or any weeknight on Martha’s Vineyard, my favorite way to consume avocado is via large troughs of guacamole.
Most of the time I’m a guac purist. (See here for how it’s done.) But this week I decided to get a little creative in the name of friendly competition. To celebrate the Big Game, Avocados from Mexico is hosting its first ever Guac Bowl on Pinterest. My recipe is going head to head with three other bloggers, all from different parts of the country. Since I’m representing the Northeast, I decided to go with a Big Apple Guacamole.
Ordinary chips can’t usually withstand the guac to tortilla ratio that I impose on them. I don’t mess around. So I decided to make some homemade tortilla chips of my own, topped with a sweet and savory mix of cayenne, cinnamon and sugar. The spice mix pairs nicely with the heat (chipotle) and sweet (apple) in this spicy guacamole recipe.
The recipe with the most repins wins – so please head over the Guac Bowl Pinterest board to “vote” for mine! If you register here, you will also be eligible to win an avocado themed prize pack worth $250. Make sure to use the hashtag #guacbowl when pinning or tweeting.Happy eating!
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Avocados From Mexico. I received compensation for my participation in the program. As always, any opinions on this site are solely my own.
Big Apple Guacamole with Sweet & Savory Baked Tortilla Chips
- 2 tablespoons finely mined red onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 large chipotle chili in adobo sauce plus 1 teaspoon sauce, minced
- 1/2 cup finely diced Fuji or Gala apple
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 4 Avocados from Mexico
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Sweet & savory baked tortilla chips
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the avocados until semi-smooth, making sure there are still a few coarse chunks. Taste for seasoning and add more salt or chipotle as necessary.
- Garnish with diced apple and serve alongside sweet & savory baked tortilla chips.