Spinach Casserole with Bacon Bits
An easy and quick creamed spinach casserole with bacon bits and breadcrumbs. This recipe is versatile and would be perfect at breakfast, lunch or dinner. Originally published by Food & Wine.
- 4 slices uncured bacon cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large shallot thinly sliced
- 20 ounces spinach leaves
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown the bacon over medium-high heat until crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove to a towel-lined plate. Add the shallots and sauté over medium-high heat until golden, about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and cornstarch. Add to the pan and Simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the spinach to a 1-quart ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top, followed by the bacon. Bake for 10 minutes, until heated through.
This looks like the best Easter side dish to me! 🙂