Upscale Tuna Noodle Casserole with Cremini Mushrooms and Scallions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 4 scallions white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 oz tuna packed in olive oil*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 oz egg noodles
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- In a large cast iron pan or casserole dish, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, the white parts of the scallions, and the soy sauce, and continue to cook until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 more minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine and cook until all the liquid has nearly been absorbed by the vegetables, about 3 minutes. Turn the heat off and scrape the mushroom mixture into a bowl. Set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan and melt it over low heat. Whisk in the flour then stream in the broth and the milk 1 cup at a time. Whisk or stir with a wooden spoon until there are no lumps. Turn the heat back up to medium and simmer the sauce until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, stirring continuously, about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook the noodles according to package directions until al dente (about 5 minutes). Drain in a colander.
- Off the heat, add the mushroom mixture, green parts of the scallions, tuna, lemon juice, and salt to the pan. Stir until combined. Gently fold in the pasta until fully distributed. Top with breadcrumbs and parsley and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until bubbling. Turn the heat up to broil, and cook for another few minutes, until the breadcrumbs are nicely browned. Serve immediately.
Casserole can be made a few days in advance (up until the crumb topping step) and kept covered in the fridge.
*When you open the can, push the lid down over the sink to drain out the oil. Then add tuna as outlined below.