Gluten-Free Pumpkin Tart with Mexican Chocolate-Almond Crust
This gluten-free pumpkin tart recipe is kicked up with cayenne and cloves--a great compliment to the Mexican chocolate-almond crust.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
for the crust
- 2 cups of almond or hazelnut meal
- 2 teaspoons Whole Earth Sweetener Co. Turbinado Raw Cane 50
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil, plus more for greasing
for the filling:
- One 15-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- One 5.4-ounce can coconut cream
- 1/4 cup Whole Earth Sweetener Co. Honey 50
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- Pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch tart pan with parchment paper. Grease the sides with oil.
In a small food processor, pulse the almond or hazelnut flour, Whole Earth Sweetener Co.Turbinado Raw Cane 50, cocoa, cinnamon and salt until combined. Add the oil and pulse a few more times until crumbs form.
Transfer the crust to the center of the tart pan. Using a sheet of plastic wrap or greased palms, press the dough out into an even crust, coming just ¼ to ½ an inch up the sides. Transfer the tart pan to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until firm and beginning to brown. Remove and let cool.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, coconut cream, Whole Earth Sweetener Co. Honey 50, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt and cayenne until smooth. Transfer to the tart shell and spread in an even layer.
Return the tart to the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top has set and is beginning to lightly brown. Cool in the pan until room temperature, at least 1 hour, before cutting into slices and serving.