Turkey Chili with Black Beans and Jalapeno
You can substitute 1 tablespoon chili powder and 2 teaspoons cumin for the seasoning mix if you can't find it in your local market.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 pound ground turkey preferably dark meat
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed and minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Two 15-ounce cans Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Green Chile
- One 12-ounce bottle beer I used New Planet Gluten-Free Brown Ale
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1 lime
In a large lidded Dutch oven or stockpot, heat the oil. Sauté the onion over high heat until beginning to soften, 4 minutes. Push the onion to the sides of the pan and add the turkey. Cook the meat, stirring occasionally and breaking apart the meat clusters, until nicely browned and cooked through, about 7 minutes. Add the jalapeno, garlic, and spice mixture. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Carefully pour in the tomatoes, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and the liquid has reduced, 3 minutes. Pour in the beer, black beans, salt, and 2 cups of water. Bring to a simmer, turn the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 1 hour, until the chili has thickened and the flavors have intensified. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice.
Ladle the chili into bowls and garnish with additional cilantro and lime wedges.