End of Summer Cobb Salad with Creamy Carrot-Kimchi Dressing
This vegetarian cobb salad is perfect for using up whatever vegetables you have left in the garden. You can mix and match your toppings. Cucumbers and green beans also work great. The carrot-kimchi dressing can be made a few days in advance, which makes it perfect for entertaining with a colorful buffet, or just a festive way to eat salad for dinner as a main course.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 4 main course servings
For the dressing:
- 2 large carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 1- inch ginger root peeled
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped kimchi
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey preferably raw
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise or vegenaise
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 cup grapeseed safflower or other neutral oil, plus more for greasing
For the salad:
- 2 ears sweet corn shucked
- 3 heads of romaine or hearts of romaine, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini finely diced
- 1 bunch radishes about 6, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 avocados thinly sliced
- 4 hard boiled eggs quartered
Make the dressing: combine the carrots, ginger, garlic, kimchi, vinegar, honey, mayonaise or vegenaise, and sea salt in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Add the oil and whiz a few more times to incorporate. If the dressing is too thick, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is the consistency of ranch dressing (I used about 1/4 cup total). Set aside or store until ready to eat (the dressing can be made up to 4 days in advance).
Char the corn: heat a gas grill or cast iron skillet until quite toasty. Brush the corn light with olive oil and add it to the grill or pan. Char on all sides until the kernels are blackened in places and the kernels are a vibrant yellow, about 5 minutes total.
Assemble the salad: on a large platter, scatter the romaine. Drizzle lightly with dressing, then arrange the zucchini, radishes, and tomatoes on top. Season the veggies lightly with salt. Finally, nestle the avocado slices and hardboiled egg quarters in the salad. Serve immediately with the remaining dressing on the side.