Low FODMAP One Pan Chicken Cacciatore
Garlic-infused oil and low FODMAP pasta sauce help make this Italian classic safe for those suffering from SIBO or IBS. But even if you’re not in that camp, it’s simply an easy, one pan delicious weeknight recipe that’s gluten-free, dairy-free and healthy.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 4 tablespoons FODY Foods garlic-infused olive oil divided
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 small carrots thinly sliced
- 2 medium celery ribs thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup dry red wine or low FODMAP chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced pitted kalamata olives
- 2 cups FODY Foods Tomato-Basil Sauce
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced Italian parsley
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the garlic-infused oil over a medium-high flame. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, and in batches, add to the pan in an even layer. Cook the chicken until a golden-brown crust has formed on both sides and the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove to a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside.
Add the remaining garlic-infused oil to the pan along with the carrots, celery, and bell pepper. Sauté the vegetables, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, until soft, about 5 minutes. Season them with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and the red pepper flakes.
Pour in the red wine and simmer until reduced by at least half, 2 minutes. Add the olives and tomato sauce, stirring to combine. Carefully return the chicken to the skillet and nestle it in the sauce, making sure it’s fully coated. Tuck the herbs in between the chicken thighs. Simmer over medium-low heat until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is fork tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Garnish with the parsley and serve the chicken cacciatore directly from the skillet alongside gluten-free pasta or quinoa.
To make this Whole30 approved, sub chicken stock for the wine.