Many SIBO treatments do a great job of killing your unwanted bacteria, but they don’t necessarily set you up for long-term good gut health. In today’s episode, we are going to go a little bit deeper into some of the herbs and natural supplements that can be used as part of your SIBO toolkit. My guest, Dr. Will Cole, is a leading functional-medicine expert and author of the new bestselling book, Ketotarian, in which he melds the powerful benefits of a ketogenic diet with a plant-based one. More importantly, he treats acute digestive issues like SIBO with the whole microbiome in mind.
In today’s conversation, we dive deeper into his approach and cover so much ground, including:
- What effect non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID’s – like advil) can have on the microbiome
- the role of epigenetics in SIBO, meaning how our lifestyle choices can switch genes on and off
- how your microbiome is more than just your SIBO, and ways to support it overall
- histamine intolerance and how that effects your natural treatment plan
- Whether you should take probiotics while using herbs to kill your SIBO
- Biofilm and how to fight it
- Die-off symptoms (also known as Herxheimer response) and how to know if this is what you’re experiencing versus an intolerance of something in your treatment
- What supplements to take to prevent relapse
- How to use your diet as a way to prevent relapse
- Gut-brain connection: Stress management and how that influences SIBO
- And some other lesser known options like Helminth therapy
Because I prerecorded most of this season, I wanted to make sure that there’s an opportunity for listeners to get their questions answered. I’ll be adding a bonus episode called “Ask a Doctor” and using it to ask some of your follow-up questions to our guests. To have your question added to the mix, join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page on Facebook and leave me some crumbs!
Resources, Mentions and Notes:
- Will’s website
- Will’s new book, Ketotarian
- Supplements recommended in this episode:
- Digestive enzymes to help you break down food
- Hydrochloric acid (HCL with pepsin) to ensure you have proper stomach acid
- L glutamine and marshmallow root for repairing the gut lining and taming inflammation
- Mushroom based probiotics like Megaspore and HU58 from Microbiome Labs to encourage bacterial diversity
- Cat’s claw for biofilm disruption
- My post that summarizes a lot of these strategies: How to Find the SIBO Treatment That’s Right For You, Natural or Otherwise
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
This episode is brought to you by 4 Weeks to Wellness, my online program for finding the sweet spot between health and hedonism. Need 4-weeks worth of easy low FODMAP recipes with a step-by-step meal plan laid out for you? You’ll receive a 20-recipe cookbook, complete with shopping lists, elimination diet guidance and reintroduction worksheets, in addition to the many other program resources like my symptom and activity tracker, lymphatic massage videos, doable desk stretches, and so much more. The 300+ people who have joined the tribe have reported clearer skin, calmer tummies, less bloat, tamer food cravings, and a general ease over their newfound habits. To find out more details about when the next session starts, click here. Use the code SIBOMADESIMPLE at checkout for $40 off!
Disclaimer: this website offers health, wellness, and nutritional information for educational purposes only. Information provided is not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional. Always speak with your physician before trying any new treatment.