So yeah, this post was written on Friday….oh the time travel magic of wordpress!
My friend from college, being the industrious Ivy Leaguer that he is, decided to rent out a camp in upstate New York for Labor Day weekend. So I’ve been very busy losing my shorts in the lake and getting stuck on the climbing wall. I can’t wait to tell you all about it.
The packing list alone was enough to take me back to the days of cabins, chocolate chip pancakes, and peeing in the woods. Since it’s not like my mom would be sending me care packages for the weekend, in addition to my Tevas and bug spray, I wanted to make sure to bring plenty of gluten-free snacks.
So I decided to take time out of my busy schedule – i.e. running to Party City to buy water balloons and glow sticks – to bake up a double sized batch of this cashew crunch granola for the road. By now I’ve probably shared it, along with homemade friendship bracelets, with all my bunkmates.
If you’re not going back to camp anytime soon, just consider using this gluten-free granola recipe to make the perfect morning treat to get you ready for back to school…or work…since clearly no one does much of that during the summer.
I hope you enjoyed your last weekend of freedom!
- ½ cup cashew butter
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cashews
- 3 cups gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F
- In a medium mixing bowl, microwave the honey and cashew butter until soft and easily mixable, about 20 seconds. Stir in the vanilla, garam masala, and salt. Fold in the cashews and oats and mix until fully coated in the honey mixture.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the granola in an even layer. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container to eat with yogurt throughout the week.