‘Tis the season for “cleansing,” everyone! You know, when the marketing machine revs up and starts selling you all manner of green elixirs and herbal supplements. In reality, the idea of detox is really all about supporting your elimination pathways, especially your liver. It doesn’t require you to supplement with pills, juice cleanses or anything that promises to flush you in one end or out the other. Your liver is fully capable of healing itself. You just need to get out of its way.
However, in our highly toxic world or after months of bad behavior, our system can require a little push in the right direction. In today’s conversation, we talk all about how to give your detoxification pathways a boost, including giving a thumbs up or down to some trendy tactics like celery juice, infrared sauna, coffee enemas, castor oil packs, and many more.
Joining me is functional medicine practitioner Dr. Jessica Peatross, who shares how she tests patients for high levels of toxicity like heavy metals, mold exposure, and pesticides. We also talk about why someone might not be detoxing properly and the stealth infections—like H. pylori, Lyme, parasites, and candida—that can be the root cause.
A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- The things that are hardest for our liver to get rid of
- How to go the extra mile to detox heavy metals and large chemical exposures
- Genetic mutations like the MTHFR gene and what that means for an individual’s ability to process toxins
- What night sweats or lack of sweating means about your detoxification capacity
- The dangers of at-home DIY detox and how to avoid doing more harm than good
- The best ingredients to use as binding agents and chelation support
- How to prevent die-off when detoxing your body of hidden infections or overgrowths like SIBO
- Post-holiday natural strategies everyone can employ to reset in the New Year
- And so much more…
Resources, mentions and notes:
- EP 29 | Environmental Toxins 101 with Lara Adler – to learn more about avoidance!
- Organic acid test from Great Plains lab for hidden exposures
- Urine Mycotoxin test for mold exposures
- Binders: bentonite clay + activated charcoal
- Spore-based probiotics
- Castor oil packs and coffee enemas
- Phoebe’s book, The Wellness Project, on her journey with Hashimoto’s
- Phoebe’s online program, 4 Weeks to Wellness
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to receive a free low FODMAP cookbook
This episode is brought to you by 4 Weeks to Wellness, my online program for finding the sweet spot between health and hedonism. Need 4-weeks worth of easy low FODMAP recipes with a step-by-step meal plan laid out for you? You’ll receive a 20-recipe cookbook, complete with shopping lists, elimination diet guidance and reintroduction worksheets, in addition to the many other program resources like my symptom and activity tracker, lymphatic massage videos, doable desk stretches, and so much more. The 300+ people who have joined the tribe have reported clearer skin, calmer tummies, less bloat, tamer food cravings, and a general ease over their newfound habits. To find out more details about when the next session starts, click here. Use the code SIBOMADESIMPLE at checkout for $40 off!
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.