Roasted Beets, Two Ways
- 1 pound beets golden and/or regular, trimmed and scrubbed
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- (a) Arrange the beets in a small baking dish and fill with enough water to submerge the beets 1 inch. Season with salt, cover the dish with foil, and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the beets are fork tender.
- (b) Arrange the beets - no more than 3 at a time - on a 12x9 sheet of foil. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the foil over the beets and crimp the edges to form a tightly sealed packet. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour, until fork tender.
- Allow beets to cool enough to handle. Remove skins with a paring knife—they should come off easily.