The food blog universe seems to lose their sh*% the second pumpkin season rolls around. Which happens pretty much the first day of fall.
I like hopping on the bandwagon as much as the next blogger. But I’m usually too lazy to wrestle with a whole pumpkin, even though these wedges might just be God’s gift to my stomach. It seems counter-intuitive to wait all year long for gourd season only to crack open a few cans of organic pumpkin. But what can I say…it’s just so easy.
This recipe comes at a perfect time because I am running around like a mad woman this week and have little room in my schedule to do much cooking that doesn’t involve throwing a bunch of ingredients in a pot and calling it a meal. That’s pretty much what this dish requires, but I tried to make those canned goods as healthy as possible.
On that note, I’m going to pull a Merritt Weaver and go now. I’m filming a new gluten-free cooking show for Healthination today and I’m super excited to share the footage with you once they’ve color corrected my hair to be much blonder than it is.
Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- Two 15-ounce cans pure pumpkin puree (or 4 cups fresh roasted pumpkin)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- One 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons siracha
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Saute the onion over medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and continue to cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully stir in the pumpkin, stock, coconut milk, maple syrup, siracha, and salt. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the soup has reduced and thickened slightly.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a stand blender until very smooth. Garnish with cilantro leaves or toasted coconut.
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Thai Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
Red or Green: Pizza with Red Chile Pumpkin Sauce, Black Beans and Fresh Corn
Devour: Easy Pumpkin Cream Sauce
Feed Me Phoebe: Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup
Virtually Homemade: Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino
Weelicious: Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
The Lemon Bowl: Healthy Baked Mac and Cheese with Pumpkin
The Heritage Cook: Chile-Pumpkin Hummus
Dishing: Pumpkin Browns/ Pumpkin Hash Browns
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Pumpkin Scones
Cooking With Elise: Hearty Pumpkin Pasta
And Love It Too: Paleo Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
Blue Apron Blog: Baked Pumpkin Stuffed with Millet and Caponata
Dishin & Dishes: Pumpkin Pancakes with Maple Cinnamon Pecan Syrup
Domesticate Me: Harvest Pumpkin Soup with Candied Bacon
The Sensitive Epicure: Pumpkin Panna Cotta with Pumpkin Seed Brittle
FN Dish: Cook Pumpkin from the Patch
Taste With The Eyes: Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Apple Soup with Dried Fruit, Pine Nuts and Ancho Chile
Creative Culinary: Pumpkin Beer Bread with Pumpkin Butter Spread