Homemade Chicken Sausage Patties with Olives and Oregano
Makes about 12 patties
Making your own sausage patties is super easy. You don’t have to worry about casing or grinding your own meat. Simply choose whatever pre-ground protein you want and then let your mind run wild with flavor combinations. These chicken sausages (also great with turkey) are Greek-inspired with olives, oregano, and lemon zest. If I could eat pita, I would stuff them inside of one with herbed yogurt and slaw. Mmmm.
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1lb ground dark meat chicken (or turkey)
¼ cup finely chopped green olives (picholine)
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
zest of one lemon
1 teaspoon paprika
1. Mince the garlic cloves together with the salt until you get a fine paste.
2. Combine the garlic paste with the remaining ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. With clean hands, fold the ingredients into the meat until well distributed.
3. Roll two tablespoons of the meat mixture into a small ball, then flatten between your palms to form a 1/4-inch thick patty. Repeat with the remaining meat. You should get 12 or so patties.
4. Set a large cast iron skillet over a high flame. Coat the pan with a thin layer of vegetable oil. Once the pan is hot, cook the patties, gently flattening them with the back of your spatula on the first side, until very well-browned on both sides and cooked through, about 6-8 minutes total.
5. Set aside for another use or serve immediately inside SLT sandwiches.