The food blog universe seems to lose their sh*% the second pumpkin season rolls around. Which happens pretty much the first day of fall.
I like hopping on the bandwagon as much as the next blogger. But I’m usually too lazy to wrestle with a whole pumpkin, even though these wedges might just be God’s gift to my stomach. It seems counter-intuitive to wait all year long for gourd season only to crack open a few cans of organic pumpkin. But what can I say…it’s just so easy.
This recipe comes at a perfect time because I am running around like a mad woman this week and have little room in my schedule to do much cooking that doesn’t involve throwing a bunch of ingredients in a pot and calling it a meal. That’s pretty much what this dish requires, but I tried to make those canned goods as healthy as possible.
On that note, I’m going to pull a Merritt Weaver and go now. I’m filming a new gluten-free cooking show for Healthination today and I’m super excited to share the footage with you once they’ve color corrected my hair to be much blonder than it is.
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- Two 15-ounce cans pure pumpkin puree (or 4 cups fresh roasted pumpkin)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- One 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons siracha
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or stockpot. Saute the onion over medium-high heat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and continue to cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully stir in the pumpkin, stock, coconut milk, maple syrup, siracha, and salt. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the soup has reduced and thickened slightly.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a stand blender until very smooth. Garnish with cilantro leaves or toasted coconut.
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Thai Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
Red or Green: Pizza with Red Chile Pumpkin Sauce, Black Beans and Fresh Corn
Devour: Easy Pumpkin Cream Sauce
Feed Me Phoebe: Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup
Virtually Homemade: Starbuck’s Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino
Weelicious: Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
The Lemon Bowl: Healthy Baked Mac and Cheese with Pumpkin
The Heritage Cook: Chile-Pumpkin Hummus
Dishing: Pumpkin Browns/ Pumpkin Hash Browns
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Pumpkin Scones
Cooking With Elise: Hearty Pumpkin Pasta
And Love It Too: Paleo Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal
Blue Apron Blog: Baked Pumpkin Stuffed with Millet and Caponata
Dishin & Dishes: Pumpkin Pancakes with Maple Cinnamon Pecan Syrup
Domesticate Me: Harvest Pumpkin Soup with Candied Bacon
The Sensitive Epicure: Pumpkin Panna Cotta with Pumpkin Seed Brittle
FN Dish: Cook Pumpkin from the Patch
Taste With The Eyes: Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Apple Soup with Dried Fruit, Pine Nuts and Ancho Chile
Creative Culinary: Pumpkin Beer Bread with Pumpkin Butter Spread