Butternut Squash Latkes
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the squash and sauté until lighter in color and soft, but not turning to much, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the squash and egg. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Coat a large cast iron skillet with a generous layer of olive or canola oil, and set it over high heat. Test the heat with the first latke: add a tablespoon full of batter to the pan. The latke should immediately sizzle and firm. Cook for one minute on each side. Remove to a plate with paper towels. Repeat with the remaining batter, making sure not to crowd the pan.
- In the meantime, combine the yogurt and the cumin. Salt to taste.
- To serve, dollop each latke with a little yogurt, and garnish with a cilantro leaf.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate. Simply reheat the cakes in a 400 degree oven for 5-10 minutes until crisp.