Easy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 16- ounce jar medium salsa I like Green Mountain Gringo
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup fresh canned, or frozen corn
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 avocado optional, diced
- 1/4 cup jack or mild cheddar cheese optional
- 1 limes optional, cut into wedges
- In a medium Dutch oven, saute the onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and the cumin, and saute for another 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the salsa to the pot along with the veggie stock and the salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in the rice and the beans. Turn the heat down to medium-low, cover and cook for 35-40 minutes, until the rice is tender. Stir in the corn and the cilantro, and taste for seasoning. Stir in half of the crushed tortilla chips.
- Ladle the soup into bowls or mugs, and top with the remaining tortilla chips, lime wedges, avocado and cheese (if using). Enjoy!