I’ve seen versions of these flourless peanut butter cookies floating around the blogosphere for almost a decade. In fact, my recipe was first posted in 2013, almost 7 years ago to the day!
And yet, I had totally forgotten about their 5-ingredient magic until my friend Michelle at Hummingbird High posted an Instagram tutorial in her stories. Her version was slightly tweaked: it simplified the peanut butter cookies recipe even further by eliminating the baking soda and using a quick trip to the freezer to lock in the shape and body.
I ended up trying her version (plus the addition of vanilla and chocolate chips) for Passover zoom seder, and daaaaamn. My family happily devoured them while my uncle made virtual Elijah jokes and promised the retriever of the afikomen an all-expense paid trip to wherever they wanted to go. I’m still looking for it somewhere on the internet.
Anyway, there may only be a few days left, but these 5-ingredient flourless peanut butter cookies make for a perfect gift to bestow on some poor temporarily gluten-free Jew who knows not the pain the rest of us glutards suffer year round.
The ingredient list is beyond paired down and simple – my kind of gluten-free baking – and the cookies that result are thick and chewy, just the kind of texture I crave in my GF treats.
In case you missed my post on our Carbivore lifestyle, we’ve been trying to streamline our treat calendar. This means Pizza night on Friday, pancakes on Sunday (as per usual) and the latest addition: Hump Day cookies on Wednesday!
There’s still time to cue these up for the occasion. I’m lucky enough to still have batter in my freezer from last week.
This week also just so happens to mark this blog’s 8th birthday! I usually try to post some sort of gluten-free sweet treat to celebrate, so what better recipe to retool than one from the early years of the site. If you want to see some of the past birthday recipes, here is 2019 (and formerly 2014), 2016, 2015, and the original 2013!
More gluten-free cookie recipes, check out:
- Steel Cut Oatmeal Cookies
- Chewy Gluten-Free Ginger Cookies
- Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies
- Healthy Almond Flour and Oatmeal Cookies
- Gluten-Free Healthy Oatmeal Bites
With health and hedonism,
5-Ingredient Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (one 16-ounce jar)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. Stir until the sugar is fully incorporated and the mixture is no longer gritty or granular.
- Add the peanut butter and beat to incorporate. Stir in the chocolate. Cover the dough and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, and up to 5 days, before baking.
- Using an ice cream scoop (about 3 tablespoons), form the dough into balls and place on the prepared baking sheet or in a tupperware container. You should have 12 total. Transfer to the freezer for 15 minutes to solidify further.
- Space the cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared sheet pans and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until edges are lightly browned and the tops are barely set. The cookies firm up as they cool. I rotate the trays at the 10-minute mark if I remember, and they end up with chewy edges and pillowy soft centers. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 to 10 minutes before removing and transferring to a rack to finish cooling.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week, or the uncooked dough in the freezer for up to 3 months.