Environmental toxins are the giant purple elephant in the room. They are often the last thing to be addressed on someone’s journey to healing a chronic condition, and yet, the inconvenient truth is that everyday exposures–in our homes, our drinking water, our personal care products, even out mattresses–are doing more harm than we often give them credit for.
Before you start to panic: know that today’s conversation is not meant to scare you. Rather, my guest Lara Adler, aka the Environmental Toxins Nerd, is here to help you detox the areas of your life that are within your control, and try to not stress about the many things we can’t.
Lara is not only an expert in the field, she also trains health practitioners on the unaddressed link between every day toxic chemicals like heavy metals, endocrine disruptors, and mold and chronic health problems so that their patients can get better without hours of researching on their own.
For everyone out there—not just SIBO patients—this episode should be required listening.
A quick taste of what we’ll cover:
- The definition of a “toxin”
- How toxic exposures can play a role in resistant weight loss
- Why limiting your toxic burden is so important for hormonal health and gut health
- Ways people can test to see what they’re up against or find their baseline toxic load?
- How to play environmental toxins detective and everything you need to know about your food, water and home
- Whether the Clean 15 and Dirty dozen lists actually matter
- We also get into recommendations for air and water filters, cleaner beauty products, and food storage containers
- And finally, we talk about how you can live in this toxic world of ours without going crazy
Resources, mentions and notes:
- Lara Adler’s website
- Clean 15 and Dirty Dozen
- Studies mentioned: Reduction in urinary organophosphate pesticide metabolites in adults after a week-long organic dietand Organic Diets Significantly Lower Children’s Dietary Exposure to Organophosphorus Pesticides
- Water quality reports for your area: National Testing Laboratories
- Where to get your tap water tested: My Tap Score
- Clean beauty: Anne Marie Skincare, Detox Market and Follain
- Water filters for your tap: Pure effects water filter; Phoebe’s pick the Envirowave 10-stage filter
- Automated vacuums: roomba and euphy (less expensive version that Phoebe owns)
- Phoebe’s clean product recommendations
- Phoebe’s book, The Wellness Project – which has the whole story of how I detoxed my life!
- Join the SIBO Made Simple Facebook Community Page
- Subscribe to receive a free low FODMAP cookbook
This episode is brought to you by Higher Dose, whose sauna blanket is my new self-care obsession. The blanket has all the benefits of a normal infrared sauna—the detoxification, the increase in blood flow and circulation, and the lowering of cortisol levels—but in a much more compact package that you use every day at home. I’ve been using it 3x a week and have noticed a huge improvement in my mood, sleep, skin, and general inflammation. My face and body feel less bloated and puffy, and my pants are even fitting better. For more information and a special discount visit higherdose.com and use code SIBO100 for $100 off. Wishing you all a very sweet and sweaty holiday season!
Disclaimer: The information in this podcast does not provide medical advice, professional diagnosis, opinion, or treatment. The information discussed is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical or professional care.