These gluten-free wings are baked in the oven until the chicken is crispy and tender, then tossed with a dairy-free buffalo sauce. They’re easy, mildly spicy, and even better served with my gluten-free ranch for your next game day.
Gluten-free buffalo wings are one of the few things that would entice me to get excited about an afternoon watching football. Which has historically meant motivation has been low, as it’s nearly impossible to find a sports bar that doesn’t fry their wings with other breaded things.
But as the weather has gotten colder, and Sundays have become more high stakes, I’ve relinquished control of the remote and gotten in the kitchen to make my version of gluten-free chicken wings to get me through the game day.
How to make crispy chicken wings gluten-free
Growing up, my mother would always bake our wings in the oven and I never found them lacking in crispiness. Because the wings have such a high ratio of skin to meat, there’s plenty of fat rendered during the baking process that essentially causes the chicken wings to fry in their own tallow.
The fat content will vary from wing to wing, and sometimes it’s necessary to pour out some of the fat halfway through baking, but most of the time you will benefit from the thin layer of oil rendered when you flip the gluten-free wings halfway through baking.
Coating your gluten-free wings
If you want more of a crunchy finish that’s similar to the fried, dredged chicken wings you’ll find at a sports bar, you can coat the gluten-free wings in flour or starch before baking them in the oven.
Here are some options:
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (not soda)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- ¼ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup white rice flour
For these gluten-free buffalo cauliflower bites, I dredged them in a batter made from chickpea flour. But this wouldn’t be necessary for chicken wings, which have so much of their own fat and not much moisture.
Honestly, I find that keeping things simple without any dredging is my favorite way to make gluten-free chicken wings. They are getting coated in sauce anyway, so crunchy is not my primary goal.
Making dairy-free buffalo sauce
Making your own buffalo sauce is so easy, it’s silly to ever buy a pre-made bottled option at the store. All you need is two ingredients: butter and hot sauce.
To make this dairy-free buffalo sauce, simply use plant-based butter (this is my favorite brand). For the hot sauce, I am a sucker for tradition. My favorite for these gluten-free buffalo wings is Franks Red Hot. Not only is it a classic, but it’s also low FODMAP. Chaloula is a close second, though less traditional.
Mixed with the butter, the hot sauce mellows and becomes a little less intensely spicy. You can always adjust the ratios to meet your spice needs or add more hot sauce to your finished wings when you serve them.
How to serve these gluten-free buffalo wings
To finish your platter like a sports bar, serve the gluten-free chicken wings alongside carrots sticks, celery and my dairy-free ranch dressing. To round out your game day table, this dairy-free spinach dip, this green goddess dip, and this cold smoked salmon dip would be perfect complimentary finger foods!
More gluten-free chicken recipes you’ll love:
- Gluten-Free Chicken Tenders
- Italian Baked Gluten-Free Chicken Meatballs
- Gluten-Free Chicken Parmesan
- Gluten-Free Chicken Pot Pie
- Gluten-Free Fried Chicken
- Gluten-Free Sesame Chicken
Read on for this gluten-free wings recipe, and I hope it makes all those who are forced to watch leather toys being thrown about more enthusiastic about life!
With health and hedonism,
3-Ingredient Gluten-Free Chicken Wings (Oven-Baked)
- 2 pounds chicken wings about a dozen
- Sea salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup plant-based butter coconut oil or ghee, melted
- 1/4 cup hot sauce I like Frank’s Red Hot, which is low FODMAP
- 2 green scallions thinly sliced on the bias, for garnish (optional)
- Carrots and celery sticks for serving (optional)
- Gluten-Free Ranch Dressing for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the wings in an even layer. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the wings are crispy and golden. Remove the pan and flip the gluten-free chicken wings.
- Return to the oven for another 15 minutes, or until browned on both sides.
- Meanwhile, make the dairy-free buffalo sauce: in a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the dairy-free butter, ghee or coconut oil. Add the hot sauce and stir to combine.
- Remove the gluten-free buffalo wings from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes before transferring to the bowl with the buffalo sauce, Use tongs and shake off any excess fat when you transfer. Toss until fully glazed.
- Garnish with scallions, if using, and enjoy warm with my dairy-free ranch dressing and carrots or celery sticks, if desired.