We are notorious condiment hoarders in our household, and it seems like the stress the pandemic put on all manner of shelf-stable shortcuts only drove our overbuying into high gear.
We have also been living above my parents garage for 5 months cooking 3 meals a day out of a kitchenette that was never meant to be used for anything more than a morning coffee. The limited fridge space, a fraction of what we’ve grown used to at our apartment in Brooklyn, means that there are times when every square inch of our shelves are taken up by jars.
I’d say that salsa and hot sauces make up at least 50 percent of said jars, as we are constantly curious about new brands but also fairly picky and, often, not satisfied enough to finish all of our finds. Enter: salsa potatoes.
We’ve made these potatoes a few times now after I came up with the idea and stumbled across this Cooking Light recipe for inspiration. While not the crispiest roasted sheet pan potato out there, the spicy, smoky and sweet tomato coating by far makes up for it in the flavor department. New finding: even mediocre salsa only gets better the longer it’s cooked.
So if you too are a member of Condiment Hoarders Anonymous and need to use up that last cup of salsa in the jar, or are simply looking for a quick and easy shortcut that adds a ton of flavor to your spuds, look no further.
This recipe can easily be adapted to be low FODMAP if you swap the scallions for cilantro and use this FODY foods salsa (we like it so much there is rarely any leftover!). You can also try these gluten-free spinach mashed potatoes – it’s one of my favorite potato-based low FODMAP recipes.
The sheet pan salsa potatoes taste great at room temperature if you’re looking for a BBQ side dish that goes great with various marinades. You can even mix in some fresh sweet corn kernels with the salsa and roast it together with the potatoes. Get creative and don’t shy away from the hit of lime juice at the end.
What’s the pantry staple or condiment you most often have lying around for too long? I’ll get to work on more uses for them!
With health and hedonism,
Sheet Pan Salsa Potatoes with Scallions
- 1 ½ pounds baby red or new potatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup store bought salsa
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves optional
- 1/2 lime
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the potatoes on the prepared sheet pan and toss with the olive oil, salt and cumin. Arrange in an even layer, cut-side down, and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and toss the potatoes together with the salsa and scallions, reserving a small handful of green scallions for garnish. Arrange in an even layer and return to the oven for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are caramelized and cooked through.
- Garnish with the remaining scallions and cilantro leaves, if using, and squeeze with the lime juice right before serving. This side is great with tacos or your favorite protein off the grill.
dixya @food, pleasure, and health says
i know what you mean by condiment hoarding – i belong to that club and masor jar hoarding is a thing..i need meal ideas like this in my life more often,